Thursday, March 8, 2012

On Superbowl Ads and Reaching an Audience

Meant to publish this earlier and I never did...

Even though I'm not a communications major, I look at Superbowl ads from a communications point of view. I look to see what kind of audience they want to reach, how they do it, and how effective it potentially is.

Well, this year was about the same as last year. Reaching out to dog lovers with doggy-esque commercials. Let's face it, America loves dogs. I personally favor Boston terriers (which aren't really terriers, but I digress). Even last year's leading companies led the ads this year: Doritos and Bud Light, along with the same ol' teams playing against each other. More of the same. No surprises (although that salsa dance is parodied quite a bit).

The ad I especially liked that people surprisingly didn't pay that much attention to was the audi ad (I would post it, but frankly I'm too tired to imbed videos right now). Okay, yeah, vampires are overdone, but I think it was the most clever of all the ads (which, frankly, were a little bland). Yeah, not saying much, but it made me smile.

So, Audi reached me. No Doritos (bad experience with them, I'll never eat a bag again--ever), no Bud Light (I don't drink), no M&Ms (I'm trying to diet), no... uh, what else was there?

Oh, yes! The one I hate the most!

Chevy came out with a few commercials this year, but the one I detest the most involves a college graduate.

It starts with him being led--blindfolded--by his parents. His gown looks like a garbage bag, and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the director of this commercial dressed him in one and called it done. The blindfold is taken off for the intended present--a mini fridge. Really? This is what you give to a high school graduate when they head off to college!

Well, he's more excited about the yellow Chevy in front of him, as he thinks it's his. And when I mean excited, I mean he goes apeshit. He screams and carries on, calls his friends, his girlfriend, and they all act the same. I try not to let this stuff offend me. I know it's all in humor. But this is a pile of horse droppings. When you go through college, when you go through four years of agonizing under the rule of professors, getting everything done (illness be damned), and being stripped completely of your pride to learn the submission of your profession, you do not carry on like a hyperactive four-year-old because of a car. True facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment